close
close

More than 450 people have sued the Archdiocese of Baltimore for sexual abuse before the deadline

BALTIMORE — More than 450 people sued the Archdiocese of Baltimore over sex abuse claims before the deadline, according to our media partner The Baltimore Banner.

On the last day, survivors can file a lawsuit against the church is Friday, May 31.

Survivors have until Friday to file a proof of claim, or an official Form 410. People can file a sexual abuse claim supplement by that date, but they don’t have to, the Banner said.

“It’s important that you fill it out and put it in the queue,” Paul Jan Zdunek, chairman of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors, which represents the interests of survivors in the case, told the Banner. “You can always go back and change it.”

The Child Victims Act, which took effect in October 2022, abolished the statute of limitations just after the archdiocese filed for bankruptcy.

The Maryland Attorney General’s Office has been released a report of 450 pages last year, 156 priests, deacons, Catholic teachers and seminarians within the archdiocese were identified and accused of abusing more than 600 victims. The incidents described in the report date back to the 1940s.

Eight Survivors recently opened about the sexual abuse they suffered at the hands of Catholic clergy during an emotional hearing in the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s bankruptcy case.

Back To Top